Saturday, February 19, 2005

Music That Goes On Forever

Today I listened to Telemann on my way to do some weekend work. I've listened to classical music since I was 16 years old, and before that, there was no music I liked. Hated grunge, hated alternative, really hated (c)rap.
In time I also grew to admire also jazz, bluegrass and classic rock (leaning toward Dionysian, lyrical musicians like Floyd, Zeppelin, or ELP). As a rule, I don't like music if it was made in my lifetime.

Listening to classical music is one of the most profound forms mental liberation you could commit. There is an entire super-culture out there telling you that "if you are ___, then you like will like ____", and that you are an outsider if you do not. With classical, you completely shun the jihading memes of modernity which try to form your being. You say to the world "This music was made by people who lived thousands of miles away, hundreds of years ago, in a culture completely different from mine. It has no words, no image, nor does it emanate from some near-naked teenager or foppish thug whom I'm suppose to ogle or admire. It's mere music produced by human genius, and I listen to it because it is a product of genius, and I'm human enough to recognize that genius. It will sound just as wonderful 1000 years from now as it does now, because human genius is eternal."

Telemann is an especially dirty pleasure. Everyone knows what Mozart or Beethoven sound; they typify their time. Telemann sounds old also, but also has a strange air of modernity to it, like something a computer would write if Ray Kurzweil has his way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home